[FFmpeg-user] Best way to scale interlaced video

Nicholas Robbins nickrobbins at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 25 23:35:40 CET 2014

> On Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:11 PM, Andrey Aleksandrovich <andrey.aleksandrovich at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > On 2/25/14, Massimo Battistel <battistel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  hello,
>>  I have to scale 16:9 interlaced 1080i video down to PAL 576i 4:3 with black
>>  bars.
>
> Do you really need 4:3 aspect?
>
> If so, you can do something like that chain:
> 1920x1080 at 50i -> (lossless codec) 1920x540 at 50p -> (lossless codec)
> 720x576 at 50p -> 720x576 at 50i

I think this is actually a terrible idea. Rescaling the interlaced fields will introduce artifacts. I see that the scale filter has an "interlaced aware scaling" option that seems to be what he should use. With that in mind, I think his question of "how does interlaced aware scaling work" is the real questions.