[FFmpeg-user] Is it safe? (DV AVI > 4 gig)

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Mon Feb 24 21:52:17 CET 2014

On 02/24/2014 02:28 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Bouke (VideoToolShed <bouke <at> videotoolshed.com> writes:
>> Creating long ( > 4 gig) DV AVI files.
>> But, what trouble to expect when these files go out into the wild?
> See ticket #2145.

Yes, there are filesize limits with AVI files, but in practice, I must
say that I hardly encounter(ed) them.
Be aware though, that some filesystems have a problem with files >4 GiB...

At our institution, we are recording DV-tapes to AVI files of several
gigabytes size, almost daily.
In the last years, we have only *once* had a problem with one particular
application when handling AVI files > 2GB. That seemed to be related to
its OpenDML [1] implementation. I think most applications dealing with
AVIs support the OpenDML standard by default?

There's additional info about this issue on a Q'n'A page of "Sony
Creative Software" [2].

Since DV videos are intra-frame only and PCM uncompressed audio, we
segment the videos in 1500-frame files, for improving long-term
preservation (and other reasons). We then use FFmpeg to concatenate them
back together for transcoding, etc. I've tested that this process does
not use any frames or samples.

Just my experience. No guarantee whatsoever :)

Regards,
Peter B.