[FFmpeg-user] "-vf mp=softpulldown" drops all frames

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Sat Feb 22 21:33:38 CET 2014

Hi!

On 2014-02-22 08:24 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Phil Rhodes <phil_rhodes <at> rocketmail.com> writes:
>
> > > Please always test current FFmpeg git head before
> > > reporting a problem here.
> >
> > For many people this is not possible.

  More like not easy or convenient.  But yes in that sense
I agree with you.

> Why not?

  Anyway, I do not see a specific problem here, because
you, Phil, snipped the part of Carl's mail that said:

  "Unrelated in this case:"

  And in general I find it perfectly fine to tell people for
the future to test with FFmpeg Git master before reporting
the problem. Normally the problem will be fixed in Git
master first anyway, so it would be a good idea if the
reporter could test and confirm the fix with the latest
version. Or it may for instance reveal it is fixed already
in master. So maybe it could even be backported but developers
would do not know about it until someone tested. It makes a
difference for instance because looking at an already existing
fix and trying to backport it might catch a quite different
and probably wider audience of developers then investigating,
debugging and fixing the problem from the beginning.

  TL;DR: Testing with latest development version, AKA
FFmpeg Git master, is helpful even if not easily and
quickly doable for all people in all circumstances.

  Alexander