[FFmpeg-user] Can I do scaling better?

csparker247 csparker247 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:55:52 CET 2014

>I cannot provide you with a quick solution but
>"-vf scale,scale" seems a very bad idea to me.

I've had concerns with that, too, but I can't think of another way to
guarantee square pixels AND scale downs for arbitrary inputs.

>Surely this would be enormously easier with a less primitive scripting
language?

>I'd do it in Javascript, for which various commandline interpreters exist,
but anything better than a linux >shell script would at least be more
readable. Of course this may all be part of a much larger script, or
>whatever.

It is part of a larger script, unfortunately.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some magic to the scale filter that
I'd yet to stumble upon in the documentation. I'm thinking of adding some
sort of pre-analysis to my script so that the ffmpeg line is as simple as
possible.

My other option is that I finally learn a real programming language and
rebuild my entire app ;)

Thanks!