[FFmpeg-user] Levels and Primaries

Rio Kierkels riokierkels at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 17:00:08 CET 2014

On 3 February 2014 16:11, Robert Krüger <krueger at lesspain.de> wrote:

what I would check here, is if there are obvious MXF container
> metadata differences between the file output by ffmpeg and the one
> created by Episode.

Thank you Robert, nice little tool.

mxf2raw reports some differences:
First Signal Standard which is set to 0 (None) in the ffmpeg mxf and in the
Episode mxf it's set to  4 (SMPTE 274M) which is the standard HD SDI signal.
And second the "Color siting" (bit of a vague term if you ask me) is
different. On the ffmpeg mxf it is set to 255 (Unknown) and the Episode mxf
it's set to 0 (Co-siting).
The output files can be found here (ffmpeg mxf2raw
output<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9hzJJkCcuUrWExBNUtrbHQyT1k/edit?usp=sharing>)
and here (reference mxf2raw
output<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9hzJJkCcuUrMHhIaktsdGZFMGc/edit?usp=sharing>
).

I just remembered that I've also done some tests with the mediainfo tool.
They also show some significant differences.
For one "Color primaries", "Transfer characteristics" and "Matrix
coefficients" are absent in the ffmpeg mxf. In the Episode reference mxf
they are all set to BT.709.
Also the "Standard" flag is absent and in the reference mxf it's set to
Component.
Information about the GOP order is also missing the reference mxf says
"Format settings, GOP": M=3, N=12.
These files can be found here (ffmpeg mxf mediainfo
output<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9hzJJkCcuUrVk9jSzBEdWN1VUk/edit?usp=sharing>)
and here (reference mxf mediainfo
output<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9hzJJkCcuUraFhHQ05fMDBYX00/edit?usp=sharing>
).