[FFmpeg-user] LLossless (10 Bit RGB 444) and (10 Bit YUV 422) Compression

Jason Freets jasonslife at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 28 05:37:08 CET 2014

> Subject: Re: [FFmpeg-user] LLossless (10 Bit RGB 444) and (10 Bit YUV 422)	Compression
>
> Jason Freets <jasonslife <at> hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > Here's the result of what I see when playing the
> > 10BitRGB444_r10k_2sec.avi I sent you:
> >
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3512t3qarkdt2i/FFPlay_Playing10BitRGB444_r10k.png
>
> If you don't like this output, please either
> choose an input file that everybody can
> recognize or provide the intended output.

Agreed, it does help if I provide a frame of reference...so very good point. The 2 second video is NTSC color bars. I figured one would be cognitive of what that may look like ;). If you were able to play the 2 second r10k file correctly, you would have noticed they are NTSC color bars. If not, then yes, you'd have no idea if what you are viewing is playing correctly or not. So a frame of reference helps in our case.

Here's a video of the "10BitRGB444_r10k_2sec.avi" file converted to a MP4 that plays correctly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tt1x5ntx4ahll12/10BitRGB444_r10k_to_MP4.avi?dl=0

And, here's a reference screen shot of what I see when I play it through VLC:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lizv2oedaptj9ik/10BitRGB444_r10k_to_MP4.png?dl=0

Also, I went ahead and GIT'ed the FFMpeg repository and built in under Linux. I then re-ran the conversions that I was doing under Windows. I get the same results as shown in "FFPlay_Playing10BitRGB444_r10k.png" which I uploaded earlier (i.e that's what I see when playing the Linux converted file too: no different outcome).

So either on Linux or Windows, I still don't get a correct conversion that views correctly. So, I suppose that remains to be the mystery.

I'll try to pull from some real video (non NTSC color bars) I have and provide a sample of that too later.

Cheers,

Jason