[FFmpeg-user] Filter to chain to handle progressive/interlaced/telecined

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Dec 25 18:06:13 CET 2014

Wesley Wen <delbin.wen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The file would be progressive, interlaced, or
> telecined (23.98 -> 59.94i); there is no mixed content,

I consider fieldmatch, idet and yadif great filters but
fieldmatch and idet expect mixed content and will
damage your content to some degree. If you know that
mixed content will not appear, I suggest you first run
idet to find out if the file is progressive, interlaced
or telecined and then decide which filter chain to use.
idet is not very good at distinguishing between
interlaced and telecined but a heuristic looking at the
number of progressive and interlaced frames should work.

Merry Christmas, Carl Eugen