[FFmpeg-user] MPEG AC-3 Error

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Sat Dec 20 04:06:15 CET 2014

On 12/19/2014 6:02 PM, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 12/19/2014 3:47 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>> Kirk Bocek <t004 <at> kbocek.com> writes:
>>
>>> $ ffmpeg -i SNL20141213.mpg
>>> ffmpeg version 0.10.15
>> This is far too old, please test current FFmpeg
>> git head (which will tell you that "mpg" is not
>> the format that you want).
>>
>> Carl Eugen
>
> For a variety of reasons I want to install from repo. Looking at some
> other repos than the one I got this from I find:
>
> 2.2.4-67.el6
>
> Does that sound current enough?
>
> As for the container format, I am confused by your statement. MPG is
> the source file's format. It plays just fine in both MythTV and VLC
> and is what was captured from cable. Why is it unacceptable? The video
> is MPEG-2.

I went ahead an updated anyway. As Carl predicted, using the same
command line, the error message changed to:

[mpeg @ 0x186ee20] ac3 in MPEG-1 system streams is not widely supported,
consider using the vob or the dvd muxer to force a MPEG-2 program stream.

A little opaque but I tried changing the command line to:

$ ffmpeg -i SNL20141213.mpg -acodec ac3 -ab 384k -vcodec copy -t 0:20:00
-ss 0:5:00 -y SNL-split.vob

And sure enough, the resulting VOB file plays correctly, no error
messages during output. AC-3 5.1 audio is intact.

Thanks for your help Carl.