[FFmpeg-user] sequence with alpha over a still renders alpha incorrectly

Ehren Addis ehren at socal.rr.com
Fri Aug 29 06:17:20 CEST 2014

I'm trying to put a png sequence with an embeded alpha over a still
image with burned in timecode.  The following has been had from
everything I see on the web (with the exception of using -shortest that
never worked).  This renders, but the alpha channel renders in a strange
banded sort of way.  A smooth gradation comes out like lots of
transparent stripes that move around.  I'm starting to suspect this
isn't the way the current ffmpeg would do it.  Can anyone point me in
the right direction for the proper syntax?

ffmpeg -loop 1 -r 29.97 -i background.jpg -r 29.97 -i
foregroundsequence%05d.png -filter_complex "overlay,
drawtext=fontfile=ARIAL.ttf: timecode='00\:00\:00\:00': r=29.97:
x=(w-tw)/2: y=h-(1*1h): fontsize=32: fontcolor=white: box=1:
boxcolor=0x00000099" -r 29.97 -t %dur% -vcodec prores -profile:v 2 -y
output.mov

I had to use -t instead of -shortest to get this to not encode
indefinitely, contrary to examples floating on the web.

Thanks!