[FFmpeg-user] MacOSX Output Question

Richard Milewski richard at mozilla.com
Sun Aug 17 22:53:26 CEST 2014

Apoligies for a noob questsion, but: How do I route ffmpeg output to the screen on MacOSX?

If I type:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -i logo.png -filter_complex overlay  output.mp4

The output file contains the input file with the logo overlayed on top of it.

If I type:
ffplay -i input.mp4 -i logo.png -filter_complex overlay

Then it throws the error:
Argument 'logo.png' provided as input filename, but 'input.mp4' was already specified.

...but typing:
ffplay -filters

displays a list of filters including:
T.C overlay          VV->V      Overlay a video source on top of the input.

Clearly, I'm missing something obvious.

How do I route ffmpeg output to the screen, and where can I find a list of which filters and options work in ffmpeg but not in ffplay?

-- Richard