[FFmpeg-user] Why does encoding a file on different VM hosts result in different file size?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sun Aug 17 12:24:47 CEST 2014

On 08/17/2014 12:11 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> there is *nowhere* defined that output files are
> binary identical - lossless is about the content
> and not about the binary file

You're right.

Yet, I'd presume that if using identical builds, encoding arguments and
source video, the filesize difference (if any) should minimal.

Something like a few bytes, but not more I guess.
Right?

I know that some metadata (e.g. encoding timestamp) might differ, but in
most cases that won't affect the filesize.

Regards,
Pb