[FFmpeg-user] Why does encoding a file on different VM hosts result in different file size?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sun Aug 17 12:07:07 CEST 2014

On 08/15/2014 06:46 PM, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> BTW, the codec being lossless doesn't mean the video size needs to be
> the same, varying compression is certainly a feature.

You're right that lossless encoding can still have different filesizes -
*but* depending on the encoding options [1].

I must admit that I also thought that if I'd use the same FFmpeg build,
with FFV1 and the same encoding arguments, as well as the same video
source, I'd get the same filesize.

Am I overlooking something?

Regards,
Pb