[FFmpeg-user] -threads option has no effect

Rohit Talwar rohittalwar04 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 12:56:39 CEST 2014

Hi

Thanks for looking into my query. I have a main java program within which I
run ffmpeg (using exec). Often there comes a scenario wherein my program
needs to create 4+ different instances of ffmpeg program for converting
files into different formats. When this happens the cpu gets 'too busy'
running the ffmpeg instances which affects the performance of my java
program.
I think lowering the priority(using nice or start /LOW )  of the ffmpeg
process might be a possible strategy to solve this, but would be glad if
you can help me point towards a platform independent solution.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM, James Darnley <james.darnley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2014-08-12 11:59, Rohit Talwar wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I ran the command - ffmpeg -threads <number of threads> -i <my file.avi>
>
> Perhaps you should not be using it as an input option.
>
> > <target.mp4> hoping it would not hog my cpu and consume only one core of
> my
> > machine. But it was still taking up all of my cpu. I ran the following
> > experiments to confirm my suspicion that including the -threads option
> has
> > no effect on cpu usage.
>
> Why do you not want it to use as much CPU as it can?  If this is a
> desktop that you are using at the same time you should lower the
> priority of the ffmpeg process.

Regards

Rohit Talwar