[FFmpeg-user] "DXVA-compliant" H.264 encode

Francois Visagie francois.visagie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 10:59:30 CEST 2014

Hi All,

I've noticed that not all H.264 encodes are decoded via DXVA by my MPC-HC.
Although DXVA does not always produce the best quality, I need to use it on
my HTPC for performance reasons.

MPC-HC's Options.Internal Filters.H264/AVC (DXVA).DXVA settings.DXVA (H.264)
Compatibility check setting seems to suggest that player input needs to
conform to certain characteristics before DXVA is used.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11323 also seems to
suggest that specific profiles have been defined for use with DXVA, but I'm
unable to apply that information to working with ffmpeg.

The following settings are available for MPC-HC's Compatibility check: Full
check, Skip level check, Skip ref frame check and Skip all checks. When I
set it to either Skip ref frame check or Skip all checks, DXVA is used with
these encodes but the display is mostly corrupted. With Full check or Skip
level check the display is correct, but DXVA isn't used.

Here is an example of the two-pass commands I normally use:

ffmpeg -y -i
"concat:VTS_01_1.VOB|VTS_01_2.VOB|VTS_01_3.VOB|VTS_01_4.VOB|VTS_01_5.VOB"
-sn -af aformat=channel_layouts=stereo -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -b:v
1000000 -threads auto -pass 1 -fastfirstpass 1 -f mp4 NUL

ffmpeg -y -i
"concat:VTS_01_1.VOB|VTS_01_2.VOB|VTS_01_3.VOB|VTS_01_4.VOB|VTS_01_5.VOB"
-sn -af aformat=channel_layouts=stereo -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -b:v
1000000 -threads auto -pass 2 -movflags faststart "Rise of The Planet of The
Apes.mp4"

I've searched the documentation but have not been able to find any guidance
on making H.264 encodes DXVA-compliant. Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

Francois

Francois Visagie

T: +27 (83) 326-4358