[FFmpeg-user] Error after conversion back to WebM ( under IE 11 )

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Apr 27 21:15:00 CEST 2014

RDP <gliese849b <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > RDP <gliese849b <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Viewing with Internet Explorer 11, under WInodws 8.1,
> >> the first two files play back tickety-boo, but the
> >> conversion back to .webm fails to be recognised
> >> successfully.
> >
> > See ticket #3583

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> > For future questions:
> > Please always add the failing command line (in your case
> > the command line that produces the webm file) together
> > with the complete, uncut console output.
> >
> > I am still surprised that everybody seems to believe IE
> > plays webm files...

> The ( very simple and basic ) commands I used are stated
> on the web page I linked to.

Please always post command lines etc. (everything except
sample files) on the mailing list, do not use external
resources, they may disappear.

> None of those simple basic commands *fail* with an
> error of any kind.

I understand that.
The failing command line in your case is the command
line that produces a webm file that does not play.
This is what I tried to explain with "in your case
the command line that produces the webm file".

> I they had, then you would had got the 'offending'
> output quoted, here.

The command line is needed no matter if an error is
shown or not.

> Howeveer the resulting .webm as produced using
> ffmpeg has obvoously 'changed' in some way from the
> original, else it would play, and we wouldn't be
> having this exchange,

This is correct (at least that something has changed).

> I assume nothing. I expect nothing. I'm not
> 'everybody'. I don't use IE  by default.

You are one (of several persons) who - afaict -
assume that IE plays webm files (it does not).

>From your question, it would have been difficult
to understand that you are using Google's webm
plugin (which for some reason requires the mkv
version to be set to 2 while FFmpeg sets it to
4 since it uses features only present in version
4).

[...]

> Should I infer from your message that you consider
> ffmpeg not to be 'at fault', just because the
> command does not throw an error during conversion?

No, my message (above) meant that we are aware of
the problem.