[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg

miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Tue Apr 22 04:50:08 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-22 04:45, miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr wrote:
> [...]
>>> libav (if my understanding is correct that that's the
>>> library containing avconv program, a fork of ffmpeg)
>> FFmpeg does not host a mailing list for avconv, no.
>> FFmpeg provides several libraries, among them libavcodec,
>> libavformat, libavfilter, libpostproc, libswscale,
>> libswresample and libavutil.
>> All these libraries (and the ffmpeg, ffplay, etc.
>> programs) are supported on FFmpeg mailing lists, see
>> http://ffmpeg.org/contact.html
>>
>>> http://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2012-December/012223.html
>>> "> avconv version v9_beta2-501-g6d5b009
>>> This application is known to contain several hundred bugs
>>> not present in FFmpeg, some of them security relevant,
>>> please understand that we therefore cannot support it."
>>> But not anything openly telling for the public.
>> How can I be more public?
>> Sorry if I misunderstand but users reported many
>> hundred bugs in the last three years (since a group of
>> FFmpeg developers tried to take over the project), many
>> of these bugs were fixed in FFmpeg but not fixed in
>> avconv.
>> Your email is very difficult to understand (but I am not
>> a native speaker), maybe these links help you:
>> http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html
>
> I'll read this again.
>
>> https://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-video/ffmpeg
>> (If you cannot use 2.2, please use at least 1.2)
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=729203
>> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/ffmpeg.git;a=summary
>
> I'll study those too.
>
>> If you have questions remaining, please ask them!
>> Carl Eugen
>
> Carl, in the first place, thank you for your kind reply.
>
> But there were two more replies, of which this one:
> https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-April/021026.html
> I don't understand (not even if it was addressed to me or to Leonard
> Bogard
>
> But this I can say.
> That page was down, and it is "coincidence", IMO.
> I then performed an air-gap manouver which is very costly timewise,
> so it wasn't possible for me to reply earlier. Will be clarified first
> next (see below).
>
> I'll send what I had prepared. I see some people will be interested.
> And I see now that the page is up, and that I am probably not banned.
> Am I, again, like I already was, for no just reasno, Gentoo people
> (who, if not earlier, will probably read this later)?
>
> So, if not only the page is up, but also I am not banned, then I will
> post my short research that I announced, there, on Gentoo Forums, and
> as far as depends on me, announce promptly on this list when I do so.
>
> Sorry for not very clear meanings, but it is also the reason, that
> the most important part, the tecnhical part is only coming (the
> second) next.
>
> So first next is what I prepared when I thought I wouldn't be allowed
> transparency about what I deem misdeeds against good programs like

==========================
Pls. note that I wrote this much earlier, when the freedom of speech or
not in this particular instance seemed banned for me (and I still don't
know if I am not now banned from Gentoo forums)

I'm very tired, here is morning, no sleep yet, so no correcting of text
below.
==========================

Absolutely fascinating!
I must say I didn't expect a blow so promptly!
The very Impeccable Madame may have gotten alarmed!
(the one mentioned explicite (Latin: explicitly), only once, with a
three caps
letter word, in the first message)

The Impeccable Madame is starting to be served well in the GNU/Linux
community
in general, some honest and really moral devs lost the leadership,
others
somewhat buckled in under pressure, good programs being replaced by the
compromised ones, all happening, not yet completed, but happening even
in...

...Even in the most perfect of all GNU/Linices, because none has the
perfection
of the Portage, but the Gentoo GNU/Linux!

What I am trying to say, is, this message below, was deemed in some way
offending. Pls. read and dissuade me, or try and dissuade them, if you
can, of
the futility of someone's, mine or theirs, attitude, in the civilized
world
where free speech features shiny and high as requirement:

PASTING:
========

A  critique, as well as enquiry of mine is, beginning of it, here:
https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-April/021022.html

I'm now waiting for Gentoo Mods, Admins and Devs to give me green lite
openly expose the problem, technically, in terms of what can be found
on emerge
install's standard outputs, and some other portage things.

I can't wait for long, because I have completely interrupted my
building of my
Gentoo box, as is available here:

Air-Gapped Gentoo Install, Tentative
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-987268.html

to see.

It is early A.M in the U.S. where most of the deciders, and the Gentoo
Foundation, reside.

An hour or two I have to wait.

After that, I'll simply try and post my text here (the technical
arguments,
things that happened on my Gentoo box) , so there be no cross-posting,
but an
attempt at transparent collaboration in giving information with both
the FFmpeg
team and Gentoo team,

links nowadays work just fine, unless there is censorship, and it would
be
great all the documents so far in this matter, and the documents that I
intend
to post, be freely available for time to come.

Thank you,

Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia
www.CroatiaFidelis.hr

======
PASTED (and typoes corrected)

But, around half hour ago now, the reader will understand that all this
writing, pasting of links, as well as what you will read me mentioning
later,
takes time, around half hour ago now, I went online again (I work
mostly
offline), and checked the second message of mine as it was posted in
the
archives on FFmpeg, and from there, I clicked the link to the new topic
started on Gentoo Forums:
Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7539612.html
  that I gave in that second message of mine to FFmpeg Users mailing
list that
was, by then, already posted on the FFmpeg Users archives:
[FFmpeg-user] Libav (Avconv) Imposition on Users who want FFmpeg
https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2014-April/021023.html

And, lo and behold, the link opens nothing!

So, to show you that story, and to finish the exposing of murky deals
against
FFmpeg, after showing that I didn't give you wrong address, but that,
in all
probability, my new topic of the same title as this thread here, was
removed
from Gentoo Forums, I now have to prepare the screencasts that I took,
and that
prove, and very much amplify what I told you so far about censorship on
Gentoo
Forums, along with a possibility for, if someone should doubt, the
pcapng
captures (if they're good, can only take them on this online system,
can't
check them).

The screencasts have sums:
3e923265dc69901248fddda6fe5ac1535648db5fe5cb0b07b71a77c7d7c7209f
Screen_140421_2140.mkv
6ec392b2c14c4a8a766a1369abeb097da0c53fad215de5758300e05350fc49ad
Screen_140421_2206.mkv

and the pcapng dumps:
8bc5672ddbf509ddeff0769db4bf488a18aa539e5ffb757bcf5b9dc0b07376c5
dump_140421_2140.pcapng
55cdd8ca0b851dca79b4b8169eeca668e793503056690d4ea4b6f9977d2681be
dump_140421_2206.pcapng

I think the ones of the timestamp 140421_2206 (2014-04-2 22:06) should
suffice.

I wouldn't be spending anymore of anybody's time on this non-technical
issue as
far as FFmpeg goes.

However, I am among the persecuted bunch in Croatia anyhow, so while I
would
gladly take this all onto www.CroatiaFidelis.hr, don't you think that
the
Regime in my country wouldn't collaborate gladly with the Madame
Impeccable
since we really have a neo commie cliqué in Croatia that even tortures
people.

Please read that last line well and take it to heart. Not all of you
are
deprived of it.

After all, someone did get it from Google, and those can only be such
people as some of those cliqués with big cash, such as taxpayers'
moneys,
complete removal of my Youtube account (some 5 ys work, 500+ videos,
officially
600,000+ views, where the lie that it was for copyright breaches is
bigger that
Google itself.

But, I will wait a little to see how you, people from FFmpeg will
react, and
whether I could at least post how the libav in the emerge process
usurps the
ffmpeg name (in the program virtual/ffmpeg) to remove ffmpeg completely
out of
visible options for common users, and how it is programmed into Gentoo
portage
of these days, to take ffmpeg out of sight, at the installation of
mplayer in
my concrete case, which I have prepared a text for sending.

I have used ffmpeg daily, and a lot, in some at least six years by now,
and I
don't only want not to remain myself without it, but also that other
users not
remain without it as well.

At the moment, I am preparing my responses offline.

I know so so well, that in moments like these, intrusion attempts on my
systems
intensify.  Before I even try and see what happened online, I
absolutely have
to pack up all the screencasts, bookmark some things in proper way, and
use
another clone machine, not this one machine, to go online and try to
post this
message of mine (such air-gapped preparations do take hours and more).

The screencast I will post when there is a few people, or if there will
be a
few, who are willing to download it promptly and document in some way
that they
saw it, then I can try and post it on www.CroatiaFidelis.hr

I am now probably banned from Gentoo...

But of course I don't know what they decided, I sure would very much
like that
it's only some of the Mods took me out, others said, no let him be, and
that I
may be back on Gentoo Forums.

Pls. is it acceptable that I post the technical stuff on how, again,
not able
to express myself better:

...how the libav in the emerge process usurps the ffmpeg name (in the
program
virtual/ffmpeg) to remove ffmpeg completely out of visible options for
common
users, and how it is programmed into Gentoo portage of these days, to
take
ffmpeg out of sight, at the installation of mplayer in my concrete
case, which
I have prepared a text for sending.

Thanks for the FFmpeg program which is basic in my work!

Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia
www.CroatiaFidelis.hr