[FFmpeg-user] Draw original timecode on the output file

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Fri Sep 27 12:29:15 CEST 2013

> I need to show the built-in timecode, no the pts.

I think we need to be careful here. What do you mean by "built-in timecode"?

In most circumstances I've used timecode, it's been specified as metadata. PTS and DTS may not be related to this metadata (and will not be in most common use cases). ffmpeg does have some ability to read timecode information from Quicktime movies which may have "tmcd" tracks, although I'm not sure it knows how to do anything with it.

The manner in which timecode is stored in various containers varies. Some AVIs produced by Adobe Premiere have "tdat" chunks, for instance. Depending on your use case, this could get complicated.