[FFmpeg-user] Best way to make a screen-cast

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Sep 19 09:11:44 CEST 2013

Cecil Westerhof <Cecil <at> decebal.nl> writes:

> I was just wondering: are this the best
> container and codec to use? Taking into account
> the following:

> - most compatible with the different systems

If you mean proprietary players, mpeg4 in mov
is more portable than mpeg4 in avi.

> - quality of output

mpeg4 -qscale 4 is high quality, you could
test -vcodec flashsv2 (which is the opposite
of portable)

> - resources to generate it (-r 25 took to
> much processor to be generated, but for a
> screen-cast -r 5 is good enough I think)

h264 is optimized more than most internal
encoders, it is also portable

> - how big the output will be

flashsv2 (or even png which may be slow)
should produce smaller files