[FFmpeg-user] Image extraction broken with ffmpeg, but not with mencoder. How can I fix this?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 15:33:11 CEST 2013

>Please stop being rude. Your input is not "uncompressed raw video", it is an

>AVI file, you did not tell how it was generated and AVI is one of the worst
>formats there is. Expect all sorts of problems.

Sorry, if I'm being rude.  I'm reporting an obvious ffmpeg bug, which
wasted 4 hours of my time, and the response is that this is a feature.  What
would your tone be?

How many times on this mailing list have I received complaints about my
top-posting?  Or complaints about my mixing threads?  Or complaints about
my using line length that was too long for some people's screen?  Or because
I mentioned that I use mencoder?  Or whatever trivial issue?  On and on....
Conversely.  My comments have been about your product, and the bugs I've
found, that nobody seems inclined to correct, or even accept as bugs.

Also, the AVI file stores it's frames in an uncompressed YUV format.  There is
no interframe compression, or intra-frame compression.  I call this "uncompressed raw video".
What is the correct term for this?  It was generated from my capture card.

Thank you.