[FFmpeg-user] FFV1 multi-pass: Could not allocate file buffer

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Tue Oct 22 14:13:35 CEST 2013

Quoting Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at>:

> Then the problem is likely that the larger files are
> so large that a check in libavutil/mem.c prohibits
> allocation.
> You could remove that check but I start to realize
> that this is indeed something that has to be changed.

I'll give that a try!
Thanks for the tip.

If I understood you correctly, then disabling the check "might" allow
to use large files like that. But I guess there's a reason for that
check to be there in the first place?
If I also understood this correctly, then it means that huge amounts
of RAM are allocated for reading the pass-logfile in the 2nd pass.

> How large is the passlog-file that does not work?

In the case of this video the logfile is around 7.2 GiB.
Puzzling though, I just saw that on the second computer where I tested
this, the logfile for the same video has around 12.8 GiB.

Unfortunately, the runtime to produce this 1st pass logfile takes a
few hours, so it's not something that I can easily reproduce ad-hoc :(

I'll try disabling the check in libavutil/mem.c and report back as
soon as I know more :)

Thanks,
Pb