[FFmpeg-user] Multiple outputs worse performance than multiple instances

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 09:33:35 CEST 2013

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:36:47 +0200
Carl Lindqvist <lulebo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the previous top post. Gmail is giving me a headache..
>
> I did a small typo/brain fart, what I meant to say was:
>
> Everything works perfectly, but cpu usage on the very fast server (16
> cores) is quite bad. I can set -preset slow and get the same fps
> encoding speed, but with higher cpu usage.

Don't know more about multiple threads decoding or encoding, But I
think you need understand some things:

1, CPU usage is low, if there are some other bottle neck? e.g., disk IO?

2, What kinds of codecs support multiple threads decoding or encoding?

3, If a codecs support multiple threads decoding or encoding, if these
threads can occupy all the CPUs' usage?

Just a clue. If we can't issue enough commands at same time to occupy
all the CPU cores, and how to use the multiple decoding and encoding
ability of ffmpeg to achieve this goal, I am also interest in this
question :)