[FFmpeg-user] FFV1 multi-pass: Could not allocate file buffer

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Oct 21 23:36:10 CEST 2013

Peter B. <pb <at> das-werkstatt.com> writes:

> I've tried to run a 2-pass encoding with FFV1.3 on a 4h
> computer-generated video, but I'm getting the following
> error message when I try to run the 2nd pass:
>
> "Could not allocate file buffer

This is the relevant code:
    *size = ftell(f);
    *bufptr = av_malloc(*size + 1);
    if (!*bufptr) {
        av_log(NULL, AV_LOG_ERROR, "Could not allocate file buffer\n");

I wonder if there is anyrhing we can do...
(But you could increase ram.)

Allocating 1.6G should be possible with the code in
libavutil/mem.c (at least from a quick look).

What does free report on your system?
Is this 32 or 64bit?