[FFmpeg-user] ffserver+ffmpeg how to inform VLC player the frame rate is decrease?

Huang Soho soho123.2012 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 14:38:54 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I got a big problem when I use VLC 2.1.0-rc2 to play live H.264 stream that
is output by ffserver.
the stream format is rtp. it includes Audio+ video. One rtp stream is for
Audio and another is for Video.
The payload type is 96 for Video, and 97 for Audio.
Video format: H.264, 1280x720, 30fps.
Audio format: PCM_S16_LE, 2 channel, 48000 sample rate.
I see the error when VLC debug message is enabled.
"avcodec error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame
(computer too slow ?)"
then the video stream is freeze.
Because the frame rate is decrease if the light is dark when ffmpeg capture
video data . Then the frame gap is larger than the first 10 minutes.
VLC does not know frame rate is decrease. VLC just know rtp timestamp has
larger gap in the afterward packets.
Is there any method to inform VLC the timestamp will get more larger gap?