[FFmpeg-user] Live RTMP stream to HLS

btpoole tpoole at mail.com
Thu Nov 14 23:26:06 CET 2013

I have seen several topics but no final solution. I am able to download a
live stream using rtmpdump. I can save the file but don't wish to do so. I
want to "push" the stream into ffmpeg to convert it to HLS if possible. I
can't save the the file in mp4 format because it can not be viewed until the
download is complete.  This will be a live stream so there might not be an
end. I have seen some stuff on listen but have not been able to get the
syntax right. It took a while to get rtmpdump formatted correctly. Is ffmpeg
able to take the live stream and transcode, encode, convert to HLS?  If so
can I get some advice or a point in the right direction.
Thanks for the help.