[FFmpeg-user] piped ffmpeg output to movie filter with preserved alpha channel

Alex Vasilenko aa.vasilenko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:22:31 CET 2013

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 17:54 , Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Alex Vasilenko <aa.vasilenko <at> gmail.com (http://gmail.com)> writes:

> > > mpegts does not support the qtrle codec, this is not a FFmpeg
> > > limitation, but a limitation of the specification.
> > >

> > mpegts was just an example.
>
> My answer was only related to your example.
>
> Why can't you read your "avatar" from file instead from
> a pipe, as you do it with watermark.png ?

Sorry, there's a typo in command, instead of watermark.png it should be watermark.mov.

The reason I'm doing this is because watermark should be present only at the beginning of the video. The only way that I've found is to convert watermark to video file with 1 frame transparent fade out at the end of duration (5 seconds in my case) using . For generic watermark move file is pregenerated. But there's additional watermark that is dynamic and hardly available for pregeneration (there's ~1.5mln of them). So I want to convert and pipe it on the fly.