[FFmpeg-user] how to include h264 support for ffserver (Unknown VideoCodec: h264)

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 21 10:41:17 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:20 AM, Soho Soho123 <soho123.2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Codecs:
>>  D..... = Decoding supported
>>  .E.... = Encoding supported
>>  ..V... = Video codec
>>  ..A... = Audio codec
>>  ..S... = Subtitle codec
>>  ...I.. = Intra frame-only codec
>>  ....L. = Lossy compression
>>  .....S = Lossless compression
>>
>> So your "h264" codec supports decoding of video, and can decode lossy
>> and lossless. It does not support encoding of video to H264. This is
>> because you have not built ffmpeg with libx264.
>
> My question is:
> even h264 has included , but when I set "VideoCodec h264" in ffserver.conf.
> ffserver says "Unknown VideoCodec: h264",
> Why?
> Do you have idea?

Is this a troll?

When you set that option, ffserver loads an encoder with name h264.
Since you have built ffmpeg without libx264, there is no h264 encoder.
So it is an unknown codec. If you build ffmpeg without libx264, you
cannot encode h264.

So your "h264" codec supports decoding of video, and can decode lossy
and lossless. It does not support encoding of video to H264. This is
because you have not built ffmpeg with libx264.

No libx264 => no H264 encoder => error when trying to find a H264 encoder.

Tom