[FFmpeg-user] how to include h264 support for ffserver (Unknown VideoCodec: h264)

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:10:39 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Soho Soho123 <soho123.2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You don't have to include libx264 to decode h264
>> (x264 does not contain a h264 decoder), if you
>> want to encode to h264, you have to include
>> libx264 into your FFmpeg build.
>>

> then, in ffserver.conf,
> "Videocodec h264", as my understanding, it means : tell ffserver the
> encoder that video data used, right?
>
> and ,
> "Format asf", it means : tell ffserver to mux video data in asf format
> then send out to remote client, right?
>
> So,
> my problem,  the output below:
> I can see h264 has been include, but it still can not work.

You cannot encode to H264 without libx264. I'm going to keep saying
variants of this throughout the email, you have been told it several
times, but it doesn't seem to sink in.

> Do you have idea?
> # ffmpeg -codecs|grep 264
>  D.V.LS h264

This output shows all codecs, and lists what capabilities the codec
has (the "D.V.LS"). The key is in the output you grepped out:

Codecs:
 D..... = Decoding supported
 .E.... = Encoding supported
 ..V... = Video codec
 ..A... = Audio codec
 ..S... = Subtitle codec
 ...I.. = Intra frame-only codec
 ....L. = Lossy compression
 .....S = Lossless compression

So your "h264" codec supports decoding of video, and can decode lossy
and lossless. It does not support encoding of video to H264. This is
because you have not built ffmpeg with libx264.

You cannot encode to H264 without libx264. In order to encode H264,
you must build ffmpeg with libx264.

Cheers

Tom