[FFmpeg-user] avoid downloading unnecessary part of a video

Yang Yu popyy0101 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:19:55 CET 2013

Hi,

I am an user of ffmpeg and recently I use ffmpeg to take some snapshots for
video url. I just use the command line like this:

ffmpeg -ss 20 -i "http:\\www.youtube.com\xxxxx" -y -f image2 -vframes 1 test.jpg

But when I encountered some big video, for example the video with
duration=1 hour (3600 secs), it will take very long time to finish if
I set -ss parameter to 3500. I guess the ffmpeg will download the
0-3500 part. If so, is there any way that I can avoid downloading this
part, and can just seek to 3500 and take a snapshot there? I know if
the video exists in local machine, we can use -ss before -i to seek
fast, but I don't how to do when the input is url.

Thanks.