[FFmpeg-user] libvo_aacenc is not available

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Mon Mar 4 21:25:03 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013, at 11:06 AM, Jabba Laci wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list. I compiled FFmpeg on Ubuntu 12.10 as described
> here: https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/UbuntuCompilationGuide . I
> compiled it from source because I wanted to use the libfaac codec. Now
> I have libfaac but libvo_aacenc is missing.

The Ubuntu guides do not (and probably will not ever) supply
instructions to build libvo_aacenc. It provides rather poor quality
compared to the available alternatives, and some even consider it worse
than the native FFmpeg AAC encoder. There are better alternatives
available that ffmpeg supports; especially since you compiled ffmpeg and
can choose any supported encoder.

If you still want to use libvo_aacenc, then install the libvo-aacenc-dev
package, or compile it from source, and then add the
"--enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-version3" ffmpeg configure options.

> I also tried the static build from http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/
> which has libvo_aacenc but doesn't include libfaac. How could I
> combine them and have both codecs?

libfaac (also libfdk-aac and libaacplus, IIRC) require --enable-nonfree
which results in a non-redistributable build, so the static builds will
not support these encoders.

See the FFmpeg and AAC Encoding Guide for more info and examples:
http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/AACEncodingGuide