[FFmpeg-user] Syncing clips based on audio waveform?

Pavel Koshevoy pkoshevoy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 23:17:02 CET 2013

On 3/1/2013 9:38 AM, Arthur Wait wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is coming from out of left field I imagine, but I'm wondering if
> anyone knows of a filter (or chain of filters) which would allow me to
> align/sync two video clips based on matches in their audio waveforms.
>
> I'm shooting events with multiple cameras and would like to either trim the
> clips to a precise, matching starting frame or generate a metadata "offset"
> marker indicating how far off one clip is from the other in time. Then I
> can trim the clips to match.
>
> Is this possible in ffmpeg (or anywhere else for that matter!)?

I don't know if there is anything in ffmpeg that would accomplish what
you need right now, and I doubt implementing it as a filter is very
practical.  It could be implemented as a separate utility -- give it a
reference file and another file and it spits out time offset of the
second file relative to the reference file (if it can find a correlation).

Pavel.