[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg problem in Mac

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jun 14 20:08:43 CEST 2013

Reindl Harald <h.reindl <at> thelounge.net> writes:

[...]

> please note that this is not true for the ordinary user

The ordinary user who uses ffmpeg?
You must really be joking if you claim that compiling
FFmpeg is more difficult than using it.

> a) they mostly have no expierience how to compile software
>    becauser they are users

Nonsense, see above.

> b) not only one time a newer ffmpeg required a newer
>   x264 version and from this moment on you are in the

Not for many months, I would actually claim the
last two years.

>   world of shared libraries even if you install ffmpeg
>   not in /usr/bin

Nonsense.

> c) yes it is possible to build a static x264 far away from the
>    system paths and link ffmpeg staticially against it which
>    is what i am doing since some months but that is *far away*
>    from the knowledge 99 out of 100 ordianray users

Why does every ordinary FFmpeg user need x264
and why can't he use the distribution version?
Or do you mean x264 is special because you need
a current version but FFmpeg isn't?

> said that, often enough command line changes, params
> changes and are delcared as deprecated

All this did not happen for >1 year and apart from
-newaudio (which was inherently broken) and -map old
options work fine. I agree that something went wrong
with -map but again finding out how the new -map
syntax works certainly takes less time than reporting
a bug and finding out it was fixed ages ago.

[...]

> and that is why 99.9% of all software projects are
> making a difference between current development
> snapshots and releases for users which works in the
> software world since decades

Unfortunately, we currently do not have the man power
to do this, as said, your help is welcome!
(Just to make sure: The same is true for all of
FFmpeg's forks.)