[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg problem in Mac

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jun 14 19:45:20 CEST 2013

Am 14.06.2013 17:52, schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> Please note that this thread is about a problem
> with ffmpeg (the application), not an installed
> shared library - sorry if you do not find it
> obvious that I would never suggest to blindly
> install newer shared libraries system-wide, no
> matter if libavcodec or any other library.
> Concerning ffmpeg, I suggest to never install
> (I never do), it works fine without
> installation and you do not have to worry
> about your system but at the same time, it
> shouldn't hurt to install it.

please note that this is not true for the ordinary user

a) they mostly have no expierience how to compile software
   becauser they are users

b) not only one time a newer ffmpeg required a newer
  x264 version and from this moment on you are in the
  world of shared libraries even if you install ffmpeg
  not in /usr/bin

c) yes it is possible to build a static x264 far away from the
   system paths and link ffmpeg staticially against it which
   is what i am doing since some months but that is *far away*
   from the knowledge 99 out of 100 ordianray users

said that, often enough command line changes, params changes
and are delcared as deprecated - this all is a lot of fun
for the ordinary user which is using ffmpeg in combination
with other software he can possibly not control 100%
because missing knowledge and because he is a user and not
a developer

and that is why 99.9% of all software projects are making a
difference between current development snapshots and releases
for users which works in the software world since decades

why do you still insist that ffmpeg is special?