[FFmpeg-user] hls vs ssegment

Christian Ebert blacktrash at gmx.net
Wed Jun 5 10:56:05 CEST 2013

* Young Kim on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 at 17:33:13 -0700
> I was looking through the ffmpeg manual for ways of segmenting
> videos for HLS playback, and it seems like there are two ways.
> One is to use the hls muxer, while the other is to use
> ssegment. After a bit of testing, I found that the hls muxer
> and ssegment do not appear to be different if -"codec copy" is
> specified after the input. Does anyone happen to know if there
> is a difference between these two methods?

I'd be interested in that one too.

The result of both segmenters seem to work as far as I could
test.

The main difference I found is that -f segment outputs floating
point durations in the segment list:

#EXTINF:9.005333,
test-001.ts

whereas -f hls yields plain integers:

#EXTINF:10,
test-001.ts

With forced keyframes every 10 secs this results in a
#EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:11
for -f segment, and
#EXT-X-TARGETDURATION:10
for -f hls.

For the moment I'm using -f hls or -f segment with forced
keyframes every 9th second(!?) to obtain the target duration of
10.

What difference does that make in practice?

With -f segment you also have more options regarding the segment
list naming and the -segment_time_delta option.

But again: what's the difference for deployment? Or platform
compatibility?

--
\black\trash movie           _COWBOY  CANOE  COMA_
            Ein deutscher Western/A German Western

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.php