[FFmpeg-user] Audio Packets, Video Packets, md5 output

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 27 19:19:16 CEST 2013

With ffmpeg, I generate an md5 file with the following command:

    ffmpeg -i IN.avi -mdf OUT.md5

The OUT.md5 file contains checksums for both the video and audio packets.  The
video checksums makes sense (to me): there is one for each frame in the input (the
AVI file stores each frame in full, so there's no inter-frame compression).
However, there's about twice as many audio packets as video packets.  Why is
that?  How can I tell which audio packet corresponds to a video frame?  How
are the audio packets created?