[FFmpeg-user] Does converting to yuv444p by default make sense?

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 17:32:22 CEST 2013

On date Saturday 2013-07-27 17:06:10 +0200, Werner Robitza wrote:
> > Instead this message was added in code and is displayed:
> >
> > No pixel format specified, yuv444p for H.264 encoding chosen.
> > Use -pix_fmt yuv420p for compatibility with outdated media players.
> >
> > Perhaps it should be in BIG _R_E_D_ blinking letters with popup window?
> >

> Did you really just implement that or is it already there? Because I don't
> see it in a recent-ish post-2.0 build.

Try for example:
ffmpeg -f lavfi -i testsrc=d=10,format=rgb24 -c:v libx264 -y out.mp4

> I don't think it needs to be anything more than a warning, because the
> conversion will work regardless.

It's INFO level, and thus it's not highlighted in yellow, we could
raise the message to the WARNING level.

> By the way, I wouldn't go as far to say "outdated media players" – can you
> name a few players that support it?

ffplay, VLC, MPlayer, in general all up-to-date FFmpeg-based players
(that is most Linux/FLOSS media players) just to make an example.
--
FFmpeg = Fast and Fantastic Meaningless Portable Everlasting Geek