[FFmpeg-user] j2k encoder/decoder status

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu Jul 18 14:02:50 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at gmail.com> wrote:
> On date Thursday 2013-07-18 10:24:47 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> [...]
>> > and what the short-term plan is or is this too early
>> > to ask because this is still in progress?
>>
>> I suspect this is not the first time you ask such a
>> question: Why do think there is a "plan"?
>> Do you know how open-source development works?
>> (And I don't mean kernel development that at least to
>> some part is driven by hardware manufacturers.)
>
> There is not a formal organization entity which makes plans but
> usually developers do, and thus it makes sense to ask the question and
> is IMO the right thing to do in order to avoid work duplication.
>
> OTOH ffmpeg-user is not likely the best place where to ask, since many
> contributors/developers don't follow it.

My reason for that was that I thought other users who are interested
in j2k (there at least seem to be a few that are interested in using
ffmpeg to create DCP packages without the daunting slowness of the
openjpeg encoder, which I am too) would more likely see the answer
there and I assumed that the person most likely knowing the answer
(i.e. Michael) would follow ffmpeg-user but I can cross-post in these
cases in the future.