[FFmpeg-user] How to skip parts during transcoding? (aka edit decision list)

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 00:07:30 CEST 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 22:33:16 +0200
Roberto Ragusa wrote:

> Mencoder has some kind of edl (edit decision list) support, how can the
> same result be obtained with ffmpeg?

I've been using the -ss and -t option *following* (that's the important
bit) the -i input option.

That gets me frame accurate seeks and encodes one bit of a video I
want to keep (kind of slow, but you can't have everything). Basically
I do this for all the segments of a recorded TV program that are
not commercials :-).

I then use the concat filter to join together the segments.

Slightly old versions of all my script can be found here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/game/ffmpeg.html