[FFmpeg-user] formula for transcoding to ogv, shrinking an mkv

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Jan 20 23:43:11 CET 2013

James Miller <gajs-f0el <at> dea.spamcon.org> writes:

> I'm still deciding whether I want to have both on this
> machine, or whether I will simply replace avconv with
> ffmpeg).

You would have to do "mv ffmpeg avconv" to do a
replace, I recommend to just compile a static
(that is the default) ffmpeg binary and copy it
wherever you need it (/usr/local/bin).

> I hope it will not be
> inappropriate to ask on this list

The reason it is inappropriate is simply that
since avconv contains several hundred known (!)
regressions (including exploitable bugs) and
the only limiting factor in FFmpeg development
(including support) is time, it makes not much
sense to spend time with avconv.

Thank you for your understanding, Carl Eugen