[FFmpeg-user] Didn't get ffserver and ffplay

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Jan 17 09:17:55 CET 2013

Navin Math <hinavinmath <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
> I have downloaded latest 1.1 ffmpeg source code and building it for android
> and after building I am getting only ffmpeg and ffprobe executable. I didnt
> find ffserver and ffplay binaries.
>
> What I have to do to get ffserver and ffplay.

For ffplay, you need the sdl library, ffserver
needs network support, see below.

> ./configure --target-os=linux \
>     --prefix=$PREFIX \
>     --enable-cross-compile \
>     --extra-libs="-lgcc" \
>     --arch=arm \
>     --cc=$PREBUILT/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc \
>     --cross-prefix=$PREBUILT/bin/arm-linux-androideabi- \
>     --nm=$PREBUILT/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-nm \
>     --sysroot=$PLATFORM \

>     --extra-cflags=" -O3 -fpic -DANDROID -DHAVE_SYS_UIO_H=1
> -Dipv6mr_interface=ipv6mr_ifindex -fasm -Wno-psabi -fno-short-enums
> -fno-strict-aliasing -finline-limit=300 $OPTIMIZE_CFLAGS " \

There are two possibilities:
Either these flags are useful, then FFmpeg's configure
should add them (patches or bug-report welcome) or
they are not useful, then you should not add them.
(This is probably not true for all of these options,
but at least for the first two.)

>     --enable-ffplay \
>     --disable-shared \
>     --enable-static \

These three are the default, no need to specify them.

>     --extra-ldflags="-Wl,-rpath-link=$PLATFORM/usr/lib
> -L$PLATFORM/usr/lib -nostdlib -lc -lm -ldl -llog" \

see above.

>     --disable-everything \
>     --enable-demuxer=mov \
>     --enable-demuxer=h264 \
>     --enable-protocol=file \

>     --enable-avformat \
>     --enable-avcodec \
>     --enable-avfilter \

These three are - afair - the default even with
--disable-everything (there is now --disbale-all
which disables more parts than --disable-everything)

>     --enable-filter=concat \
>     --enable-decoder=rawvideo \
>     --enable-decoder=mjpeg \
>     --enable-decoder=h263 \
>     --enable-decoder=mpeg4 \
>     --enable-decoder=h264 \
>     --enable-encoder=mpeg4 \
>     --enable-encoder=h264 \
>     --enable-parser=h264 \

>     --disable-network \

I suspect this explains why ffserver is not built.

>     --enable-zlib \

This is the default and therefore unnecessary.

Generally, please understand that external
build scripts are not really supported here,
FFmpeg developers have put a lot of effort in
the FFmpeg build script, please use it (and
please report any problems with it).