[FFmpeg-user] When to determine frames are progressive or interlaced ?

Andy Furniss andyqos at ukfsn.org
Tue Jan 8 13:29:55 CET 2013

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> So I stand corrected, maybe the reason is that most of my
> experience is with Transport Stream where I know as a
> fact that they typically signal "interlaced" even for
> progressive material, maybe this simply does not
> happen for DVD's.

Two 10 meg PAL DVD samples, both are progressive content.

http://www.andyqos.ukfsn.org/test1.mpg
http://www.andyqos.ukfsn.org/test2.mpg

bash-3.2$ mediainfo --Inform='Video;%ScanType%' test1.mpg
Interlaced
bash-3.2$ mediainfo --Inform='Video;%ScanOrder%' test1.mpg
BFF
bash-3.2$ mediainfo --Inform='Video;%ScanType%' test2.mpg
Progressive
bash-3.2$ mediainfo --Inform='Video;%ScanOrder%' test2.mpg
TFF