[FFmpeg-user] Transcoding for the Roku with recent ffmpeg

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Jan 5 02:41:39 CET 2013

Yan Seiner wrote:
>> Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>
>>> (Does the "Roku" only support h264 or also mpeg4? Testing without
>>> external libraries makes finding regressions much easier.)
>>>
>> The Roku is picky about the format.  I think it only supports h264.
>> The problem is finding the correct format.

One more time, lots of googling and this seems to be my problem.  Is
there any way to set the audio and video interleave?

The Roku Box does not support playing content that does not interleave
the audio and the video. Content that does not sufficiently interleave
the audio and video will show symptoms of constant rebuffers after a
certain amount of time into the stream (typically ~15-60 sec into the
stream).

The maximum amount of contiguous video that may appear without audio
must not exceed 5 megabytes and ideally should not exceed 1.5 megabytes.
The maximum amount of contiguous audio that may appear without video
must not exceed 512 kilobytes. In order to meet these constraints, a
good rule of thumb is that the audio / video interleave should be less
than 5 seconds.