[FFmpeg-user] XVID-Encoding with ffmpeg

llarevo at gmx.net llarevo at gmx.net
Thu Feb 28 19:55:59 CET 2013

Hello,

I would like to migrate from mencoder to ffmpeg, but I can't find
sufficient information how to "translate" the parameters for encoding
with xvid from the mencoder commandline to a sufficient ffmpeg
commandline.

The xvidenc-configuration in mencoder is

-xvidencopts
pass=1:profile=dxnhtpal:(no)greyscale:me_quality=6:max_bframes=1:noqpel:nogmc:(no)cartoon:quant_type=mpeg:trellis:(no)interlacing:chroma_me:chroma_opt:vhq=4

The most important part for me is profile=dxhtnpal because this setting
ensures a maximum bitrate over 3 sec not over 8 MBit/s, and a avaerage
bitrate not higher than around 4,8 MBit/s (cf.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/de/menc-feat-xvid.html)

How can I set the parameters above for encoding with libxvid in ffmpeg?
Where can I find information about the xvid-Parameters? What are
comparable parameters for the build-in mpeg4-codec?

Thanks in advance!
--
Felix