[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG | High CPU Utilization

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 20 14:34:23 CET 2013

Am 20.02.2013 14:17, schrieb Palaniappan N:
> We are using FFMPEG for video conversion and We could see that it is
> utilizing high CPU(100%) in the Linux server. Is there any possible way to
> balance or minimize the FFMPEG CPU utilization in the server.

this is what well written software should do:
use the available ressources and in case of
multicore use as much cores as possible

[harry at rh:~]$ rpm -q cpulimit
cpulimit-1.1-2.fc18.x86_64

[harry at rh:~]$ cpulimit --help
Usage: cpulimit TARGET [OPTIONS...]
   TARGET must be exactly one of these:
      -p, --pid=N        pid of the process
      -e, --exe=FILE     name of the executable program file
      -P, --path=PATH    absolute path name of the executable program file
   OPTIONS
      -l, --limit=N      percentage of cpu allowed from 0 to 100 (mandatory)
      -v, --verbose      show control statistics
      -z, --lazy         exit if there is no suitable target process, or if it dies
      -h, --help         display this help and exit