[FFmpeg-user] Empty File: Trouble Making A Clip From An MP4

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Feb 13 01:38:07 CET 2013

Steve <tinker123 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ffmpeg version 0.7.6-4:0.7.6-0ubuntu0.11.10.3,
> Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the Libav developers

This is an intentionally broken version of FFmpeg.
It contains several hundred known bugs, some of
them are security relevant, please understand
that we therefore cannot support this version.

While in theory all versions from
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html should be
supported, we strongly recommend using the git
snapshot, it contains more features and less
bugs than any release.

(Or in other words: Please understand that
time is the only limiting factor both when
developing FFmpeg and when offering user
support. Imo, it makes much more sense to
use the limited time testing supported
versions than versions that are known -
and intended - to be broken anyways.)