[FFmpeg-user] VBR Encoding with libopus

Liam Condron-Farnos 23liam at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 00:31:01 CET 2013

The impression I have - mostly from the opusenc man page - is that opusenc
(and therefore libopus) doesn't have a VBR quality-targeting mode in the
same way that libmp3lame or libvorbis do.

I mean that it doesn't work the same way: with libopus, you simply provide
a target bit rate, and the encoder tries to use that as the average bit
rate. It's confusing because you normally only supply a bit rate for the
CBR mode of a given encoder, but libopus just works differently, I think.

opusenc man page:
https://mf4.xiph.org/jenkins/view/opus/job/opus-tools/ws/man/opusenc.html