[FFmpeg-user] is there a limit to the number of files in the concat filter?

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 23:12:50 CET 2013

On date Wednesday 2013-02-06 09:18:51 -0800, Tom Sheffler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've had good success with the concat filter:

I suppose you mean the concat *protocol*.

>     ffmpeg -i concat:"file1|file2|file3" ...
>
> and have used it with a variety of container formats.  My questions are
> about whether there is a limit to how many files I can concatenate this way.
>
> - Is there a limit to the number of files inside the ffmpeg code?

No, it will fail when you reach memory limits.

> - Is there a practical limit due to a command-line limit in the Linux
> shell? (I'm using Bash)

Yes, depends on the maximum command-line size.

> - Is there a way to script ffmpeg using a file instead of the command-line?

Not at the moment, we could have some variant concatfile:FILE or some
concat pattern, unfortunately it's not so easy to pass options to a
protocol at the moment.
--
FFmpeg = Fiendish Formidable Minimalistic Perfectionist Extensive Geek