[FFmpeg-user] I'm playing audio on my Linux PC from the WWW. Can I record it to a file with ffmpeg?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 30 14:37:21 CET 2013

> > I want to record whatever if playing on my PC to the PC's
> > speakers, whether it's a stream, or whatever.  I don't have
> > any ffmpeg console output to show since I don't know how to
> > do this.
>
> Streamripper may be more suitable for you if that is all you
> want to do

I have streamripper already.  It works only for ripping audio streams from the
specified URL.  It doesn't capture what is currently playing over the PC speakers.
Streamripper won't work for me because I don't have a URL for the stream I'm
trying to save to file: a javascript app plays the audio to the speakers.

The original question was whether or not ffmpeg can do this.  I'm not saying
that's it's a bug in ffmpeg if it can't.  I'm not saying that ffmpeg should do this,
if it can't.  I only want to know if ffmpeg can do this (and how).  I'm asking
here since the documentation doesn't describe this.  So, should be
easy question to answer.  Can ffmpeg do this?