[FFmpeg-user] Best documentation web site ( or other source )

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 15 22:15:07 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The lack of documentation for both the ffmpeg commandline
>> tools and the asssociated libraries is a longstanding
>> bugbear of mine, but unfortunately it's often the way with
>> open source. Unfortunately there is often no other way than
>> to ask on the mailing list. For instance, I recently had a
>
> Constructive advice, not criticsm:
>
> But you guys keep answering the same questions over and over
> again.  Why not answer the question once, document it fully, put
> it on the wiki, and then when someone asks, just point them to the
> answer?  Better yet, the Wiki is searchable, unlike the mailing-list
> archives.  Isn't that better?

I do not understand this, what is not documented?

http://ffmpeg.org/documentation.html

It's a pretty comprehensive resource of ffmpeg's features. What isn't
in there can be found with google - for instance, x264 encoding is
largely down to x264, it would be wrong to document x264's features
here - how to access them should be (and it is..)

Cheers

Tom