[FFmpeg-user] Using ffmpeg to remove commercials from video file

jlundstocholm j+ffmpeg at lundstocholm.dk
Wed Aug 14 10:09:30 CEST 2013

I am trying to use ffmpeg to remove commercials from films I have recorded on
my DVR. I have used the guide at
http://www.joeldare.com/wiki/video:cut_video_with_ffmpeg .

So I am using it like this:

ffmpeg -ss 213 -i MySourceMovie.m4v testoutput.m4v

Above I would like to cut the first 213 seconds away from the video

The result is good with really good quality.

However - is there any way to prevent ffmpeg to run thru the entire video
when doing this? For a TV-show with 2-3 commercial breaks it would take a
couple of hours to process a 25-minute TV-show.

And - the command aboce results in a testoutput.m4v-file that contains what
I would like to cut out. Is there any way that I can "reverse" this such
that it results in the original video /without/ the cut-out piece instead?
Otherwise I would end up with a number of video files that I would need to
stitch together again.

Thanks,

/Jesper
Copenhagen, Denmark