[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe -show_frames and coded_picture_number

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Sun Aug 11 09:53:17 CEST 2013

Just duplicating frames is unlikely to produce results anyone wants to watch. Duplicating one frame per second to go from 24 (or nearly 24) to 25 was occasionally done in days of yore when people wanted to edit film-originated material on PAL video. It looks very rough.

Properly done frame rate conversions that are intended to be of high quality, regardless of the desired change in rate, are invariably done with motion compensated interpolation. Of course this is not always an exact science either, but it's about the best option and properly done it is generally fairly close to invisible on most subjects I don't know if ffmpeg is capable of doing it.

I don't think there's really any serious argument about any of this, is there?